Friday, September 28, 2012

Mind Numbing

Today's Friday Fantasy Scene was inspired by my sister-in-law's brilliant new Youtube video here, where she does a cover for the song Glow. The original can be found here. Enjoy!

The overcast sky grumbled, trying to decide if it wanted to rain on everyone. Holly dropped her hood over her head, not giving it the chance to drench her. She walked unseen through the crowd of sullen people.

A hand grabbed her shoulder, and she whirled toward her attacker, but it was just Micah. She slumped. "Oh. Hi."

"Holly, I'd been calling your name. Didn't you hear me?"

She shrugged.

He pursed his brow. "It's happening to you, too. The mind-numbing. We have to get out of here. I know we have nowhere to go, but can't you see? Anything is better than this, this dampening of everything."

"I'm fine. I'm just tired."

"No, you're not. That's what they all say. Then they stop saying anything at all. I can't let that happen to you."

She turned her head. "I'm going to be late."

"To what? Nothing ever happens here! We have to escape. We have to get you free so you don't lose yourself. Don't you remember being happy, and having the sun shine on your face?"

Holly did remember, and the memory of that light broke through a barrier that had settled around herself. She took Micah's hand. "You're right, I'm sorry I didn't leave with you sooner. Let's go."

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment