Friday, October 5, 2012

The Complete Guide to Being Evil

For once in my life I got a story idea from a dream that wasn't completely stupid! It's an urban fantasy. Here's a scene of it written out:

Kalara wiped the sweat off her forehead. She must have been more tired than she thought, to not be able to call a devil. Most of the time they jumped at the chance to make a deal with a mortal. Most mortals knew better, but she was desperate. She was losing the ongoing war with her rival.

She decided to call it quits for the night and went to her kitchen. She poured herself a glass of milk, or as she liked to think of it, liquid sustenance. Easier to digest after exhausting her abilities, but still full of nutritional goodness.

Someone knocked.

Kalara set down the jug on the counter and answered the door. On her porch stood a scrawny guy with dark hair, wearing jeans that had holes with some blood seeping through.

"My goodness, are you okay? Come in."

"Oh, I'm not here because of my leg. You called for a devil?"

She grabbed his shirt and yanked him inside, slamming the door shut. "Why would you say that out there? You want everyone to know I'm a mage?"

"Sorry."

"You don't look like a devil. Why is your leg bleeding?"

"Well, I...I'm not really a devil yet. I'm a devil's son." Kalara clapped her hands over her eyes and sank into a chair. "My devilry test was to sneak into an old man's house a few doors down and influence his dreams, but his dog stopped me. Pretty pathetic, huh?"

She couldn't help it, she just started laughing.

"Yeah, yeah, it was. Anyway, I failed at that, but then you called for a devil. If you make the deal with me, if I make a deal with a mortal, they'll pretend that little incident never happened and welcome me with open arms."

It's a rough draft, but what do you think of the idea behind it?

2 comments:

  1. I like it, actually. It's got potential. Try to develop it a bit more and see what comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was planning on running with it if my current queries for From Halvmane's Shore don't pan out.

      Delete