Thursday, November 29, 2012

Raw and Uncut 5

I've done it. I've officially completed NaNoWriMo this year. And I wasn't a rebel at all (as opposed to my previous two years of winning). So from a non-rebel viewpoint, this is my first real win. It was really tough there at the end. I finished the story at 46k or so, and had to add in descriptions galore to get up to 48k. Then I asked some fellow NaNo-ers for dares that would fit my story, and that got me right on up to the 50k goal.

I am super-crazy about this story, and about the comedic world I planted in the middle of modern Manhattan. It was the easiest thing to write I've ever done, and now I'm kicking myself for not trying comedy before, and for not trying a story unrelated to my first story idea before. But now I have, and I feel like it will be a breeze to edit (in a week or two when I've rested from it a bit). In the mean time, here is the final installment of Raw and Uncut:

One of the commercials started out with a woman walking a horse with no lead, her smile just barely visible the camera was so far away, the landscape that of more upstate New York. Then it cut to a portrait shot of the same woman, with a cat on her lap and a parrot on her shoulder.

“Hi, I'm Sophie Cunningham, and I know what your pets are thinking.”

“Not yet, you don't,” the cat said with a sniff.

“Oh, what a load of bull,” said Maria. “People can not talk to animals, it's unnatural.”

“Do you see what color eyes she has, Maria?” Kalara said. She didn't often reveal too much about the technicalities of being a mage, but she had told her about the eye color thing.

Maria cut her a look. “Are you saying you can talk to animals? And she can, too?”

Kalara nodded.

The cat whined, staring at the parrot. “Can I eat him now?”

Sophie looked at the cat, rubbed him between the ears, and said, “You're hungry? I'll fix you something to eat.”

“I want the bird, and you know it.”

“Alright, you can have tuna juice on your dinner.”

“And chunks of tuna.”

The scene cut to her dishing out food for the cat, with tuna juice and a little tuna mixed in.

“I want more tuna!”

She smiled and replied with a sugary sweet voice, “Trust me, if I gave you more tuna, you would get uncomfortable gas cramps, and you'd let loose smells that would bother everybody.”

The cat shrugged and began to eat.

“As you can see, I can help you with all your pet problems. Call today.”

6 comments:

  1. I *love* the new stuff. The death of the fly is especially good and shows a whole new aspect of your talent. I can't wait to see the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll start working to make it view-able in a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the cat is so direct. That is how my cats seem when they are talking to me around here, too. No mincing words.
    Thanks for your comment on my blog--it's all been very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, every time a cat talks in my novel, I just tried to keep the word "Narcissistic" in the forefront of my mind.

      No problem! I can't wait to join you in the "has agent" category.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on winning Nano!! That's awesome. It's the best feeling when the story just flows like that, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete