Friday, December 28, 2012

Gimme Your Writing Prompts

So. I've had a hard time trying to figure out what to write for today's Friday Fantasy Scene. I'm now in the thick of editing my WIP, The Complete Guide to Being Evil, so any time I think of something to write, my inner editor jumps up and starts picking on the problems before I even begin. I don't have this problem with longer things, like when I wrote my book, because I have time to subdue the editor during the two week planning phase.

I've found that while surely there are good writing prompts on the internet, they can be difficult to find. Most of what I find are journal prompts, prompts based on celebrities, a list of words you're supposed to connect, writing prompts meant for a full short story, or things that don't really spark anything for me (like the word 'silk'). What's a good writing prompt you know? I'll use them in coming posts.

In the mean time: Why would a teacher contemplate a change in career?

For more money.

Sorry, who writes that kind of 'prompt'? It's just a question. Off in search of better ones...

10 comments:

  1. One of my writing buddies once dumped a random backpack of stuff on the floor and challenged us to write something that connected all of the items. It was kinda cool to see what everyone came up with and how many different approaches people used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to remember. I think misc travel stuff, like a water bottle, a map, a high heel shoe, an umbrella, etc. I know I ended up writing a scene based in Ireland and others did a dark, spooky bit or a literary angle.

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura,
    Stopping by from Matt's blog.
    I hate writing prompts. There. I said it. I really do.
    Most prompts are too random for me, strings of words and such. That said, the best prompt I've ever worked on came from a conference where I had to find something interesting about - red.
    Best of luck!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopped in from QQQE. Best of luck finding some prompts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Found you via Matt's blog. I don't even try to write from prompts. You can always take one of your characters and stick them into a situation and see how they get out of it. Would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! I don't do well with prompts either, but I think I know a blog. Let me see if I can find it ...

    ... here it is. Laura Marcella! http://lauramarcella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound great! I'm sure I'll get around to most of them.

      Delete
  6. I've heard The Writer's Idea book by Jeff Hefron is a really good one for prompts. It got a very high recommendation from Writer's Digest.

    But yeah, I agree--a lot of the writing prompts you can find online are pretty bad. Good luck with this! :) And with your edits...

    ReplyDelete