Saturday, January 12, 2013

Queries

 Blarg, I'm a whole day late! I'm sick, so I'm going to keep this post short.

I'd like to talk about queries. A query is a page of words that could make or break your book as far as whether it gets published (unless you're counting on self-publication). If you have one you'd like another pair of eyes on, give me a try. Arbiter of sanity @ gmail . com (no spaces).

Queries can be super frustrating. You have to boil tens of thousands of words down to a neat little snippet, but not only that, it has to grab the agent/publisher's attention. I'll come back as soon as I'm feeling better and discuss this in more length, but until then, here are some questions to answer.

Have you tried to query before? How much success did you have?

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better! I've done one round of querying and had some success re: full requests, though nothing that's gone all the way yet. I need to get back to it, because I got busy and stepped away from it before I went all the way through my list of agents. It can be nerve-wracking, but also kind of fun to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the well-wishes. I am now completely better. It must be nice to get full requests, even if you haven't grabbed a deal yet. It means you're doing something right, it just wasn't perfect for that particular agent/editor. You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete