Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Next Big Thing

I've been tagged by by Blair over at A Writer's Progression in the Next Big Thing blog hop. I answer ten questions about my WIP, which will (fingers crossed) be the next big thing. Thanks for the tag, Blair. Follow the link to see more about her cool alien-infused YA in the works, and check the end of this post for a few more authors who may join in the hop.

Here's the ten questions.

1. What is the working title of your current/next book?
The Complete Guide to Being Evil. All the characters start out at some level of evil, and it's supposed to be funny, so there you go. A play on self-help books.2. Where did you get the idea for that book?
A crazy, random dream I had. Normally my dreams are too ludicrous to make any sort of sense, but this one...I woke up and said, "I can not stop thinking about this idea." And this was seriously the day after I decided to shelve my first novel and write something new (after too many years of trying to force it to work to even admit).
3. What's the genre of the book?
Urban Fantasy. I'm going to probably query it as "quirky Urban Fantasy" though originally I wanted to call it "comedic." I just can't figure out how to get the query itself funny, while still being everything else a query needs to be. But it's a comedy in the classic sense, that most people end up happy in the end.
4. If you could pick actors to play the lead characters in your story, who would you pick?
I definitely know Evander, the male lead, would be Andrew Garfield, from The Amazing Spiderman.
He's scrawny and awkward, just like Evander! Gotta love that type. No "He's like a god on earth, perfectly sculpted and suave" male leads for me.

For Kalara, I'd take Ariel Winter, from Modern Family. She also starred in a fake Dora the Explorer movie trailer, which is just plain awesome.

And for the big baddie, Mr. Brentley Whitcomb? Michael C Hall, from Dexter. The show got old, but I kept watching because of his engaging acting. Imagine him with no scrubble, and his hair dyed salt-and-pepper. He's a little young, but he's so good at being creepy...

And for Maria, Aubrey Plaza. Oh, please make the movie now so I can watch something new with her in it! I fell in love with her character April in Parks and Recreation.
(Since my original post I have removed the pictures which stopped working.)
5. How would you describe your book in one sentence (10 words or less)?
Daddy's girl makes deal with devil to kill necromancer.


6. How will your book be published, submitted through the traditional route to a traditional publisher or will you be handling it yourself through Indie Publishing methods?
I will be querying agents, then publishers. If no one bites, I'll write something new. I want my work to be good enough for a publisher to be confident it will sell before I try to sell it.7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of this book?
I wrote it during NaNoWriMo 2012 (the epiphany from question 2 happened three weeks before November. Convenient!), finished it a few days before December. I plotted it in a week and a half before then.
8. What other books within your genre are similar to yours?
It takes place over the course of a few days and is urban, like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but it's also a silly world, where everything's funny for being the way it is, like Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
See number 2.
10. What about your book will pique the reader's interest?
I'm hoping they'll pick up the book because the title's interesting. Then I hope they'll be hooked by the deliciously-bad characters, and the journey they take to figure out being evil isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Hope you enjoyed hearing about it! I'll tag a few more people to join in the fun:

Ink in the Book
One Magic Bean Buyer

10 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. The funny definitely comes through in the title and I think the Pratchet approach of making things funny by having them serious in the world in which they exist is a great way to go with it. Definitely the type of book I'd pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the sounds awesome part. Humor and happy endings are a good thing. You really seem to have a knack for taking hold of inspiration when it strikes and making the most of it. Best wishes with this interesting project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, flashes of inspiration are my friends...

      Delete
  3. I love humorous books but don't write comedy very well.
    Thanks for the tag. I'll post Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I always assumed I wouldn't be able to write funny until I tried it with this book, and I found I love it.

      Delete
  4. That's an awesome one-sentence description! Sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book sounds like a ton of fun! I love the idea of it and I'm always a sucker for happy endings. :) Thanks for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete