Monday, January 28, 2013

Worldbuilding: Geography and Climate


Today is the first day in the Worldbuilding Blogfest, in which I am supposed to give the geography and climate of the world my novel is set in.

It's modern day NYC.

So, that was short. There is, however a little more to include: the layout of hell. Hell is a place that is visited in my novel, and since it's the part of my world which I crafted (including a lot of research done over the years. Yes, research. On hell) myself, it's probably going to be the main focus of my participation in the Worldbuilding Blogfest. Except days 2 and 3 will have a bunch of added things to Earth.

Hell

Hell is a three-tiered place. Since one of the words for hell in the Bible actually just translates to "place of the dead," the top layer of hell is just that...the place that absolutely everyone goes when they die. It's basically a waiting room (not as boring, though. There's restaurants, strip clubs, video games, television, and all other manner of indoor entertainment while you wait), where everyone is gathered to await Judgement, sorting them into one of two places: heaven or Gehenna. Climate of the place of the dead: room temperature, no weather.

Gehenna is the bottom layer, and it serves two purposes. First, it's where those Judged as unfit go to be tortured for eternity. Second, it's where demons are sent to be contained. Demons, being completely chaotic and evil, wind up doing the punishing on the people. Demons, like devils, are sterile with one another, so one of the ways the demons torture humans ends up with baby demons. You get the picture. Climate of Gehenna: humidity off the charts and always 110 degrees...except in the burning pits. It's hotter there.

The middle layer is Tartarus, the place where the fallen angels were imprisoned. Fallen angels became the first devils. The devils turned this section into a massive office, with paperwork abound, a headquarters from which they corrupt humanity. Climate of Tartarus: slightly too chilly for short sleeves, but not cold enough for a sweater. Rains paper when the imps fly through distributing it.

Here's a picture!


See how expert I am with Paint? I'll be back tomorrow with the History and Politics segment.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, you are much better with Paint than I am.
    Love your version of hell, and yeah, I can imagine something called the burning pits would get really hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like my version of hell, too. ;)

      Delete
  2. That is an awesome picture. And if I tried to draw something in paint . . . it would not look half as good as that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picture!

    Yes, an office with lots of paper -- true Hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's just torturing the devils, pre-Judgement! They will someday go to Gehenna as well.

      Delete
  4. It takes serious talent to do that in Paint :) Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are really funny, I think that picture is really juvenile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The illustration just slays me! The world building is also a lot of fun - I'm glad this bloghop has exposed me to a bunch of new folks to watch...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I love your picture of Gehenna!

    ReplyDelete