Thursday, March 7, 2013

Link Crazy, Plus Water

First up, Sean McLachlan is having trouble getting his blog to show up first with a search of his name. Help him out by clicking the link! You know, I have the same issue. I show up (getting my query critiqued) as the bottom two entries on the first page over on theQQQE, but my blog isn't there. Apparently there's some well-known doctor with my name out there. I would appreciate it if you posted my name with a link to my blog on your websites!

Second, Adam Heine is working on an awesome new RPG called Torment: Tides of Numenera, which is currently up for funding on Kickstarter. They're already funded, but there are still rewards to be had, so head over now if you want to get in on that.

Third, I am finally over that "Meh, editing" phase I got moored in for a few weeks there and am back at work on my WIP. I even got it back up to 50k, finally (will I ever hit my 60k goal?) after cutting all the extra stuff I wrote during NaNo that I didn't end up using. Which is good, because I am going to pitch this face-to-face to either Jennie Goloboy or Paul Lucas in two months. Ack! Must...breathe...

Fourth, a short scene!



Thunder boomed, rolling like a bass drum. This lasted three minutes. Once its self-centered proclamation ended, sheets of rain started pouring down. Jenny glanced up at the ceiling, frowning. Odd...

Her door swept open, revealing a tall, drenched man. Lightning spiked behind him, turning him into a mysterious silhouette. As the purple spots in her vision faded, he stepped into her house.

"Who are you?" she asked, backing away toward her kitchen. Maybe she could grab a knife to defend herself.

"I am your father."

She stopped, blinking until he came into focus. He was beautifully muscled, she could see since he wasn't wearing a shirt, with the perfect V-line torso. And he was blue.

"Huh?"

"I'm a water genie, or marid as we prefer to be called. You are a half-genie, and since it is now the hour you turn eighteen, it is time you choose which you become, human or marid, and abandon the other half of your ancestry."

"Um, no."

"Huh?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "Look. First, this is pretty crazy, telling me all this and then asking me to immediately choose. But also, you want to give up part of who I am, which is not your choice. I'm going to stay the way I am, thank you."

He stared at her with an open mouth, and she smirked at him, then gasped as she felt a wave of cold wash over her. She looked down at her hands, which were now a pale green color and had grown thin webbing between the fingers. Her toe socks suddenly got a lot less comfortable.

"But I didn't choose to be a marid!"

"You aren't," he said, backing away. "None of us look as you do. You are something between the races. Now you won't belong in either world."

And he walked out the door.

7 comments:

  1. I will gladly add you to my blogroll list of links, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lucky that my name is unique. I can google it and my stuff always comes first. :D

    It's never a good thing when someone googles your name (as I have done), and your stuff not only DOES NOT show up at the top of the list, you are teaching an online workshop on social networking. lol This has happened at least once to me. Needless to say, I didn't sign up for the workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out! I haven't beaten that Chinese domain squatter, but I'm rising in the ranks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! I'll beat those Chinese domain squatters sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete