Friday, March 22, 2013

The Charge Blog Tour

Today we have Sharon Bayliss, whose book The Charge came out earlier this month. She's here to talk about querying, and to show us her successful query. Take it away, Sharon!


Querying my novel almost drove me insane. A slight exaggeration perhaps, but I think there should be some additions to the DSM for query-related disorders. Perhaps "Acute query psychosis" or "E-mail refreshing compulsion disorder," and of course, "Rejectaphobia".

I suffered from all of these disorders have almost 50 drafts of my query saved on my computer…and that's just the drafts I saved. I really hated the whole process. But through all that trial and tribulation, I did rise victorious. I finally wrote a query that got me a full request from a publishing house. And I learned a few things a long the way. For some of my tips on querying, check out some of my past articles:


The Query Formula
The Matching Game - Finding Good Comps for Your Query
Manuscript Says to Query, "It's Not You, It's Me"
Query Bios - If you don't have anything nice to say...
Why Good People Write Bad Queries

And now I'd like to share the query for The Charge that got me a full request and ultimately a publishing contract:


Dear Curiosity Quills Editor,

Eighteen-year-old Warren King has been protecting his brother, Isaac, from bullies ever since Isaac decided to wear a top hat to the third grade. So when Isaac is kidnapped, Warren heads out to bust some faces. But Warren didn’t expect the bully to be the King of the Texas Empire. Warren’s mother confesses that Warren and his brother are some of the last members of the Texas royal family. The new King is hunting down his relatives before the true heir decides to say, “Hey man, you’re in my seat.”

Warren must save his brother and avoid capture himself armed with nothing more than a fifteen year old Camry and MapQuest directions to Texas. He gets help from a spirited Texan named Lena who is first girl that ever made him want to do things like iron creases in his pants. She’s ready to help him take on the King, but since she’s an anti-monarchy activist dating the son of the President of the United States, he’s not sure if she’s going to kiss him or shoot him. Gone are the days when choosing a major was a big deal. Now he must embark into a West that stayed wild and choose to be King, follow a King, or die before he can retire his fake ID.

THE CHARGE is an 80,000 word New Adult science fiction adventure set on an alternate timeline where a dictator took over the Republic of Texas in 1836 and built his own empire in the West. It can stand alone, but I have outlined it to be the first book in a five part series.

Sincerely,

Sharon Bayliss 



I forgot I had promised a five part series in my query. lol I guess I better get to work. 

Thank you for having me here Laura!! I am happy to answer query questions in comments.



And if that query makes you want to read more, here are some links where you can do so! Currently The Charge is only 99 cents, but that deal ends tomorrow!

Purchase at Barnes and Noble (the amazon link with the low price is at the top of the post)
Excerpt
Trailer

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for spreading the word!! I'm happy to be done querying, at least for the near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you! And on behalf of those still querying, thanks for the great advice!

      Delete
    2. Also, I think it's funny that tip #5 of "Why good people write bad queries" is assign your novel one genre, and your successful query reads, "New Adult science fiction adventure set on an alternate timeline." :D

      Delete