Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Agent Interest!

That's right, guys, the agents were interested in my book. Out of the three who I pitched, all three requested material. And later one of the people they were hanging out with told me to make sure to send it, because they were discussing my book, and said how cool it sounded! Of all the pitches they'd heard, they were talking about mine! Are there enough exclamation points?

They did have reservations because of the length, though. Obviously my next step is to extend it. The lectures I went to at the conference have gotten gears turning, and I've been thinking of possible sequels and the hooks I'd like to lay that will tie in with them later. It's going to be hard, but I'm ready!

My conference goodies!

The OWFI Writing Conference was very fun. I met Patrick Rothfuss, did the aforementioned pitches, and got to talk to Rebekah Loper face to face. The name tags were in super tiny print, so I leaned in awkwardly close to double-check it was her, which inspired some laughs all around. And I met Justin Herd, who told his wife I was her soul-mate, which I told him was a really strange thing to say to a spouse.

I also learned more about social media platforms, and as a result I've decided to change my schedule again. Friday will be reserved solely for the Friday Fantasy Scene, and Tuesday will be where I talk about whatever's on my mind. Those posts will be more focused, instead of sometimes involving four different topics. They'll also feature more bad photography a la me. And they're going to be more focused toward potential readers than other writers. (Sorry guys!)

So, potential readers out there: I'm working as hard as I can to come to a bookstore near you! Or more likely your Kindle/iPhone/Nook store, since more eBooks are sold than physical ones now. And I have a few questions for you.

Do you like reading sequels? What length should a series be? How many books is too many following one character?

And lastly, but not leastly, welcome to the following, David List!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your requests, and GOOD LUCK!

    I don't know what kind of books you write, but if romance, sequels don't always work for me. I want that HEA (happy ever after) and feel I'm not getting it if there's another book. I'm okay with a series with different couples in each book, but they MUST have their HEA (or HFN - happy for now).

    BUT...If you write urban fantasy or something non-romantic, I don't have a problem with following a character over multiple books. As long as the stories are fresh and interesting, and the character grows (or at least learns), I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm writing urban fantasy. And I personally always feel a little cheated when I'm rooting for two people and they finally get together, and *end book/series/show.* But I don't read a lot of romance.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow that's amazing news! I hope they love the book as much when they read it. :-D

    As for the length of the series, I think it depends on the size of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Don't most authors lay hooks for various possible later stories and choose the most interesting ones to pursue? So it's not the size of the story but the possible stories you can find in the character's life.

      Delete
  3. Well, that's revealing. Here I was thinking I was normal for having a particular length of series preference, based on nothing to do with the story in question. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I got into researching the publishing industry, I always assume fantasy should be long, and have more than one book. LOL. While I understand word count caps, there are exceptions!

    Congrats on your requests!!! AHAHA!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Who could you have been reading? Okay, so I'm asking this because I feel like the Harry Potter books went south after the fifth one, the Legend of the Seeker books got bogged down by back-story around the same place, and so many trilogies don't have that issues, and single books certainly don't.

      Thanks! I've sent them off, we'll see how long it takes for some responses.

      Delete