Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Creeped Out and Kid's Books

I don't know if it's just me or if this happens to other people, but sometimes the most random things will creep me out. For example, earlier today I watched the music video for "Somebody That I Used to Know" with his nakedness and hungry lips. Now I can't get that song out of my head, nor the pained expression on his face, and I have that gross feeling I get in nightmares when I grind my teeth.


I'm pretty sure tonight I'm going to have slimy dreams to do with strange, chilling men wearing only geometric paint.

Am I crazy?

Of course the last time I was creeped out by a guy this hardcore it led to a pretty decent villain, so you know. Silver linings and all.

News! I have begun outlining a new book, in the children's fantasy genre. My adult books are all too short, and I've had the beginnings of this idea for forever, so I've decided to sit down and write it. And it would be just my luck that my chapter book for ten year olds turns out to be 100k, just to rub in how The Complete Guide to Being Evil is still only 53k. I've been slowly getting that higher...

Anyway, I think kids need some more books to hook them on reading, don't you? Especially with our culture somewhat abandoning classics (How many kids these days have read more of Narnia than The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?) and producing 10 billion YA books a year, leaving little cricket noises in the children's section.

What's your favorite classic kid's book? (If your answer is "The Chronicles of Narnia" tell us which of the seven you liked best.) And what is most memorable about it?

2 comments:

  1. I have a lot of favorites. Have to say Charlotte's Web is up there. I hear crickets outside my window right now so I'm laughing at your last paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! Crickets drive me crazy, I would probably go buy some frogs/toads and set them loose.

      Delete