Friday, August 23, 2013

Post-SpoCon Thoughts, Plus a Decision!

Sorry I've been gone so long.

I went to SpoCon a few weeks ago. I met Brandon Sanderson, one of my favorite authors! I cosplayed one of his characters and went all fan-girly on him. Here's a picture:

I'm so cool...

Obviously I should have flared out the Mistcloak, and used a shimmery gray cloth instead of the dull black. I was in a hurry when I made it! It seems I've been in a hurry with so many things recently.

And during SpoCon, I reached a conclusion. I will be self-publishing. Not just as a back-up, but as my goal. The traditional publishing game is shaky as all get-out, and the giant Brandon Sanderson himself said that it didn't matter which route you took, as a breakout author you'd be doing the same amount of self-promotion.

Well that's what I wanted the traditional guys for...

But I've been doing some research, and I think I can handle the marketing beast with a little work. There's Kickstarter to help with the funding, Smashwords to publish the ebook, and Create Space to make an on-demand physical book sold on Amazon. Should be pretty good. My current step is finish the rewrite and send it out to a pro editor. All this research on marketing has dammed up my creative side it seems.

That, and how this past week I worked more than I've ever worked in my life before, all on my feet. It will all be worth it when my bank account reflects it, but until then, I'm exhausted. I wish I could burn pewter.

On another note, my entry got into Write Club, but it looks like I won't be winning my bout. I missed a grammar error before sending it, and there was a formatting error that popped up in translation between my email and the blog post which makes it look like I missed a second spot of sloppy writing... Frustration. Those who did vote for me said my piece was more moving and better written (barring the two sloppy spots), so I'm grateful for that.

Lately I've been getting the sort of feedback that makes me think I'm ready to publish, just as soon as I put that final shine on my book. If only I didn't have two young kids and an evening job! Eh, things can only get easier, right?

1 comment:

  1. Well congrats on this very brave decision, if you feel your ready then I think it's about time to get published. Good luck with your new direction, I believe you will do great :) by the way you do look sooo cool ;)

    ReplyDelete