Wednesday, May 21, 2014

We're Not Gonna Take It

She gave me a blank look. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, let's go put an end to it. Mage persecution? Not going to play along nicely. How about you?"

She took my hand. Who wouldn't? I'm fucking epic.



That's a snippet of Mage Assassin, the book I'm currently working on. The MC, Gari, is totally full of himself, but then it's kind of deserved, because he's just really cool. He's a mage with Bond tenancies. I love it.

You know what I don't love? False advertising. Especially by writers, who are supposed to communicate more clearly with those around them, at least in print (personally I suck at making points while talking). I recently joined a writing group on Meetup called "Not Your Mother's Writing Group," which advertises itself as being full of writers who don't go where many others have gone before, ignores polite conversation, etc.

That sounds great, right? I'm tired of going into writing groups only to be tasked with helping people tweak their bland, normal writing, their memoirs, their blogs. I got accepted into this one, and suddenly I can see their profiles, saying they're writing memoirs and blogs. The only person who seems to fit the name of the group is the founder, who's working on a book titled 'Diary of a Child Molester' (A title I really like. Heehee.)

Everyone's saying in the "What attracted you to this group" section, "I'm glad I found a place where I can get better without fear of harsh words" etc, which would be your mother's writing group, unless you think the difference is your mom's group doesn't help you get better.


If I had the money to host a Meetup group, it would be titled, "Fearless Fantasy Writers," and genre-bending would be encouraged, as well as not censoring things which could get your book banned. However, I don't, so I'll drop in and out of the endless line of bland writing groups that are just like a mother's might be, and keep writing this gritty, alternate-recent-history urban fantasy novel.



2 comments:

  1. You might be able to do it without money.

    I started a local critique group in my area without any cost, and I did it because the local guild's group wasn't good enough for what I wanted. Many of the local NaNoWriMo participants joined a facebook group, and then I posed the idea to the group, got a couple of interested people, and worked out the guidelines and expectations. We now run with 12 members, and genres are a mix of MG, YA, Horror, Romance, Fantasy, SciFi, Humor, and Literary. We meet at the library or sometimes at a hotel where one of the members works.

    We haven't had any blog posts or memoirs come through yet.

    Maybe you could do something similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I forgot about facebook groups. I should look into doing that...

      Delete